Sunday, January 4, 2009

re-realizing things

I just got back from a really great weekend away. It made me realize (or re-realize) a few things:
1. I miss old friends.
2. I love the color red.
3. I like being out of my "hole" and am dreading returning to it.
4. Sightseeing is exhausting.
5. I really hate the cold.
I had this minor "aha" moment (if you can call it that) when we were walking around New York and I was pretty sure I was going to die if I couldn't get in from the cold soon. We passed this sleeping bundle of a homeless man (or woman). How readily I take for granted what I have. In no way do I know what it is like to even taste the possibility of being out on the streets. And the fact that I'm not more grateful for that on a regular basis is somewhat shameful. A huge reason why a lot of people justify not "helping" the homeless (or similar individuals) is because of the idea that the majority of them "brought it on themselves" (i.e. deserve it). While I don't necessarily agree with that blanket statement, even if it were true, as we passed that guy I thought, yeah, but even if he is a lazy heroin addict, how can I be OK with leaving him there? Something in me hates doling out harsh justice like that...

No comments:

Post a Comment