Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My smile? Really?!?!

I'm feeling a little bewildered. I seem to attract odd guy attention at times, and tonight was one of the more bizarre experiences I've had in a while. Laura and I were at this bar, hanging out, having a good time listening to one of my most favorite bands, and randomly this older guy approaches me and tells me how beautiful my smile is and how he wants to see it. So I kinda offer a dazed half-smile (although my roommate tells me it was more like a grimace) and he seems very pleased and holds out his hand. I, like an idiot, shake it saying, "Thanks. It was very nice to meet you." And then I watch in horror (it was a strangely out of body experience) as he brings my hand up to his lips and kisses it. And then he walks away, but not before he insults my roommate (at least I thought it was rude) saying (more or less) how she's jealous of me. Riiight. Classy.

I look at Laura, horrified, and then glance up to see the bass player give me this look (I can't even describe it) that says he totally saw what went down. I'm even more mortified, praising God that the lights are low so no one can see how terribly beet red I've turned. But I manage to get over myself, enjoying the rest of the evening, thinking how much better this is than any type of homework than is currently piling up on my desk. As Laura and I walk to the door to take our leave, I'm stopped by some random guy in the back who says, "I just wanted to let you know that I cringed for you when that guy kissed your hand." Awesome. And here I thought that it went generally unnoticed. *sigh*

If only I could harness this mystical power! If I can even call it that... And yet it only seems to hit me when I'm oblivious. I've been offered rides from strangers, I've gotten numbers, half-price burgers at restaurants, gushing compliments from security guards... this random guy from NYC wants to drive down and visit me (ok, so that's a bit of a story) for crying out loud! But when I want to actually get a guy's attention? Nothing. So I'm thinking I should smile less, and save myself a lot of hassle. Perhaps I'll scowl from now on.

There's not really a point to this rant, just that it's late, I'm frustrated, and I needed to write it down before I go to bed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment