Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas

So, it's odd, because Christmas this year was kind of bittersweet. On one hand, it was perhaps the best Christmas I have ever had, or at least since I was a little kid. My family drives me crazy, but we seemed to all enjoy one another's company - apart from the minor feud that arose from ordering Chinese food. I love how my family does christmas - we get up early (although early these days is 8:30 or 9:00) and open stockings, eat breakfast, and then leisurely open presents. Then later that day we order out chinese food. I guess it's just the atmosphere of not having to rush, of savoring the gift giving (and receiving). Not having to worry about preparing a huge meal or having tons of relatives over. Just my aunt, uncle and little cousin. I'm totally carrying on that tradition when I am older and have my own family. Of course it does help that my dad's side of the family is Jewish ;-p

On the other hand, 2008 was a year of loss, particularly in the latter months. I was anticipating this day to be slightly painful, as I'm reminded of the differences between now and a year ago. I've lost some dear relationships, good friends have moved away, and there's been just a lot of pain and suffering lately in life as a whole. If the past months have proven anything, it's that saying is (sometimes) true: Life's a bitch, and then you die. So, my last thoughts tonight before I go to bed very contentedly, are for my friends who will most likely find this holiday to be excrutiating: my friend who recently lost her mom to MS, and my other friend who's husband (also my friend) is in a coma. More on that perhaps in a future blog. But for now, that's where my heart is tonight - with them.

1 comment: