Sunday, April 12, 2009

Enlightened Rant? Maybe...

I feel like I've had a lot on my mind to say, with no time to say it. But I'd like to rant a little right now.

Today I celebrated Easter at my parents' place. It was a normal Easter, except that my sister brought her boyfriend, and I brought the closest thing I have to one. And there was a dog. All in all, it was a great Easter - a lot of laughing and fun. Ironically my rant does NOT have to do with my family. It has to do with boyfriends.

Now, let me say that after only meeting him this one time, I adore my sister's boyfriend. Not only is he hot with an adorable half-accent, but he's super sweet. Just watching him treat her like she's a million bucks, but not in a gross gaga way, but just in subtle undertones... the way he offers her his seat, how he gets up to fix her coffee so she doesn't have to, how he pushes her seat in for her. It's just so cute. He's clearly just a good guy.

So, this is my thing: what don't guys understand?? Why don't they get it? That's what girls want (well, the ones worth keeping). There seems to be this general misconception that we are super hard to please... and certainly some are. But I'm not. And maybe I have been actually settling, like some people were telling me all along when I wouldn't listen. My guy doesn't need to make tons of money or have a PhD or own a nice car... What I want is to be treated like I'm the best thing that ever happened to him. And that's what I think was lacking. Perhaps I was being treated well, but not like that. Everything else is just cake. You can lose money, jobs, good looks, health, possessions,... but the other person is the thing that matters. I know it's cheesy and cliche, but I don't think I ever saw it so objectively before. I was only defending myself. Because I'm relatively easy to please, easy to get along with, and don't ask for much. Which is why I guess I settle. Kind of a shame, the irony of it. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment