Saturday, March 7, 2009

best first date ever??

It's true. Today I think I had my best first date ever. The guy I've been working with, Ricardo, took me to the pyramids at Teotihuacan for the day. And he's pretty much blown the other first days, and most of the dates i've been on in my entire life, out of the water. Am I just not used to being treated well?
He picked me up at the hotel. He drove 1.5 hours to the pyramids. He insisted on paying for all tolls, tickets, parking, not to mention the gas he put in his car. THEN he suggested we get a personal tour guide, but absolutely refused to let me pay my share. And we went out to dinner - and it was not cheap - and even when I stole the check and told him I would pay because Hopkins would reimburse me, he insisted on paying. He finally broke down (not happily) and let me pay the toll on the way back (about $3).
The entire day he was such a gentleman, holding doors for me, making sure I was comfortable, running back to the car to get my sweatshirt, pretty much anticipating my every possible need. He was interested in me, in my life, in my family and was fun to talk to.
ok - so what's the kicker? It wasn't a date. And he did all this for me and we barely know each other. We may never see each other again. And yet I can hardly think of a date or two in my life that I have been treated with such overwhelming generosity and kindness. And it's not even about the money. I would have felt better being able to pay my share. Because of course the trip was about me in the first place. I'm la turista. But to know someone is thinking of me before thinking of themselves...
Maybe my standards have been too low.

And then I also have the example of Gui and his wife Zuraya (I was spelling it wrong before!). Not like I know them that well, but I've seen them interact quite a bit this week and they have what I want. They're happy with one another. Happy with each other's company. Interested in what each other has to say. Enjoy conversation and spending time together. Like to joke around. It's kind of an unrushed, comfortable relationship. But they clearly love each other, you can just tell the way they act towards one another. Why does that seem so hard to find? Maybe because most of us have unrealistic expectations about what a successful loving long-term relationship is supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment